Tuesday, November 27, 2012

True Friendship Endures


Today was a special day for I had lunch with a friend whom I had not seen in several years. We had worked together many years ago and despite moving in different directions professionally had managed to stay in touch. Over lunch we talked about the old days of working together, reminiscing about colleagues long forgotten, eventually coming full circle to our present careers. We shared stories about our families, the lengths of our marriages, and how our perspectives of work and life have changed.

It is difficult to believe that our friendship has lasted more than twenty six years. Except for a brief period of time, I can count on two hands the number of times we have seen each other since I left the company we both worked for. What amazes me is that after only a couple of awkward moments at the onset of our lunch, our conversation resumes its natural tempo, as if our last visit was only weeks earlier not years.

I returned home to my two old ladies, who were waiting impatiently for their noon meal. Like my friend, Lucy and Gracie have also shared my life for a very long time. We have grown old together and yet, I continue to see them as the youngsters who joined my home so many years ago. The three of us have long past the frivolousness of our youth. We are not as spritely as we once were and I see the effects of aging in the bodies of my two girls. Despite the physical limitations that come with age, my relationship with them is as strong as the first time we met. Time may change our physical beings, but not the emotional connections that first brought us together.

In my busy life, I often put chores and responsibilities first to the detriment of relationships. Looking back, I had my priorities backwards and it is days like today that reminds me of that. There will come a time when Lucy, Gracie and my friends will pass from my life permanently leaving behind only memories. Would not a better use of my life here on earth be to reach out to those whose friendships bring richness and meaning to my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment