Friday, September 6, 2013

A chance encounter with a chickadee



A chickadee struck the back sliding door Wednesday afternoon. I had not heard the strike but the cats did and they huddled around the screen gakking and pacing back and forth. Knowing that Lucy and Gracie were outside, I ran out the door and found the small bird sitting on the ground, stunned. Without hesitation, I picked up the chickadee, cupping it in my hand to prevent it from struggling that could injure a wing or leg.

When I was rehabilitating wildlife, I had found and used frequently a small plastic reptile cage.  The cage had a screened, easily removable cover and clear plastic sides that allowed me to carry wildlife safely with less stress to the animal. Despite the fact that I no longer rehabilitate, I kept the cages and my heavy duty gloves for situations as this.

With bird in hand, I opened the cage lid and lined the bottom with a small pad.  I gently placed the bird inside and replaced the cover. A clean rag was warmed and put under and up one side of the cage and the cage and bird were moved to the living room where it was quiet and free from nosy cats.

With the bird attended to, I returned to making my jam. In a short while I could hear chirping coming from the other room. Picking up the cage, I walked out the front door and removed the cover. The chickadee flew off to resume his life.

I didn’t think much about the episode until later that evening. Rescuing and releasing birds has been something I have done without much thought. It didn’t even occur to me what a great gift I had given to that chickadee and to the other animals that I have rescued, cared for and released. Too often I ponder what my purpose is in the world and I often see myself more as a taker than a giver. That grieves me.  Then I recall the story about the boy and the starfish. When questioned about the futility of rescuing one starfish, the boy responded, “It made a difference to that one!”

Not all of us are destined to be a Nelson Mandela, or a Jonas Salk, or a William Shakespeare. But if each one of us would step up wherever help is needed, what a better world we would have.





No comments:

Post a Comment