Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday morning in August

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” -  Hans Hofmann

August rolled in without much thought. Deep in the excitement and activity of the local film festival, I wasn’t paying much attention to much of anything other than my movie schedule and those tasks that could not be ignored. With the last film behind me, I began my Monday as I typically do, communicating with my clients to determine what work I had to complete this week.

I ran my morning errands, picking up food for my home as well as for the wildlife that lived in my yard. Toting the bags of corn and sunflower seeds through the patio to their bins, I noticed the berries formed on my holly bushes, some of whom had already turned red. In the noise that was my week, I realized that once again I had lost my way. Caught up in trying to grow my business, caring for my ailing cats and fitting in all that I could in the short months that are summer, I had ignored the voice inside me.

I put away the food and went back outside. The neighborhood was quiet from human activity and that void was filled with the soft breeze song of swaying tree branches accompanied by a chorus of crows. I stopped and looked up at Gaia, the large red oak that stands at the head of my drive. She is a beautiful tree with a large canopy. As is my practice each morning as I pass her to pick up the newspaper, I give her a kiss on a special spot on her trunk and wish her a good morning. But today, I felt I needed to do more. I wrapped my arms around her, feeling the texture and coolness of her trunk against my skin.

As I backed away from the tree, that sense of peace that I get when I’m out in the woods flooded through me. How did I let myself get so off-track? Consumed by unnecessary worries and thoughts and hours of frivolous activity, I behave as if my physical life is infinite. And to what end? I’m no better off financially than I was a year ago except that I refilled the emptied spaces in my world with new possessions. What was the purpose of all my reading, journaling and reflection about simplicity if I didn’t incorporate it into my daily life? True change is when you take your dreams and bring them to fruition.


Instead of running around in that frantic but always unsuccessful attempt to be everything to everyone, I will sit outside on the patio and enjoy this gorgeous summer day. That to-do list will be reviewed and those items that do not align with my dreams will be checked off as completed. The television set will remained turned off and my constant worries that I don’t have enough, will be set aside for the day. Today is for nurturing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment