Monday, December 31, 2012

Stand Up, Speak Up, Take Action


A Mother's Love


It has become obvious to me that my mindset of late is too focused on the negative. Whether it is the result of all the bad news bombarded at me daily by the various media or that it is just my natural point of view I cannot say for certain. The events of the past twelve months could disillusion even the most optimistic person.

At times like these, I turn to my journal and write nonstop until the deep-seated truth rises to the surface. Today was no exception. After two handwritten pages, the words come flowing out. My passions have always been, in no particular order: animal welfare, human rights for all women and protecting the environment. What emerged was the wide gap between my intent and my actions. It is easy to sit back and point out the wrongdoings of others and not look within at my contribution or lack of, towards making the world a better place.

I see how my actions impact the natural world, making demands on a landscape already strained by pollution and human overpopulation. My overconsumption demands a market for low-priced products that generates inhumane working conditions for people in developing nations. My silence allows the voices and actions of the few to dominate the safety and welfare of the many.

The original intent of my blog was to write about the connection between nature and people. I wanted to share my observations about animals and their habitat so that my readers could see there is a common thread between all of us on this planet Earth. The more we know about the natural world, the less fearful we will be of it and the more compassionate we will be towards its survival. I still hold fast to that intent, even when my words sound foreboding and sad.

In the past, my new year’s resolutions were like most people. I wanted to lose weight, save money, devote less time to work and more towards family and friends. This year’s resolution is different. I’ve decided to live the change I want in the world. I want to know that the decisions I make affect others in a positive way making the world better for all.

I expect there will be people who will scoff at me as being naïve or oversensitive. That is okay. But I really believe positive change can happen if, we who have sat silent on the sidelines stand up and speak up.  Speak from the heart; then act.

Happy New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment