Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Isn't He Beautiful?




Occasionally an animal passes by my window that catches me by surprise. That was the case of an adult skunk who decided to vacation under my storage building several summers ago. I wasn’t totally surprised by his appearance for there are many mornings where the not-so-sweet aroma of skunk waifs across the neighborhood. And one incident many years ago had my black and white cat, Tristan foolishly think that the skunk on the patio was a relative and tried to be friends. The skunk vehemently objected and promptly sprayed the back of the house and my poor old cat. Quick thinking rid Tristan of the pungent smell, but the house shingles retained the faint stink of skunk musk for the rest of the summer.

Many years had passed when the little fellow in the above photograph decided to visit. Skunks typically come out at dusk and after dark, so the sighting of him during the day was unusual. Aware that skunks are categorized as rabies-vector animals and to avoid a repeat of Tristan’s episode, I sent the cats into the house and closed the screen door.

Sitting quietly with camera in hand, I watched the skunk waddle across the patio. He appeared oblivious to my presence; focused on the cats’ dish of water I had left outside. The skunk took his drink and quietly returned to his summer lodging under the storage building. Throughout the rest of the summer, I periodically saw him come and go, quietly and without incident. Finally I saw him no more.

Despite its smelly reputation, skunks are mild-mannered creatures. Skunks are omnivorous in eating habits, consuming a wide array of foods from fruit and nuts to insects, eggs and meat. This varied diet allows the skunk to inhabit a diverse area; as long as there is a water source, the skunk can make his home in any agricultural, woodlot or neighborhood environment. Skunks often will commandeer underground dens built by woodchucks, fox and badgers. Leading a solitary existence, male skunks avoid other skunks except during mating season; female skunks, however, are amiable to sharing winter shelters with other female skunks, woodchucks and raccoon.

I was curious about the scent glands and read that even baby skunks as young as eight days old are capable of emitting the musky smell.  By four weeks old the baby skunk has learned the adult defensive position of raising his tail and spraying. Adult skunks can accurately spray its adversaries to a distance of ten feet but will do so after giving you ample opportunity to escape. Should you encounter a skunk who is stomping his feet, and making a quick short charge at you, get out of the way and fast.

As for my summer guest, there was no reason to run and hide. He was well-behaved, keeping to himself and not a bother to me, my cats or the other wildlife that frequented the yard. I would welcome him back anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment