Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lola Returns

It’s been more than a year since I last saw Lola. For most of May and June of 2012, Lola had religiously visited my home each night. Sitting in the middle of my black food dish, she consumed large quantities of corn and sunflower seeds. With each new visit, Lola allowed me to come ever closer to photograph her. The last time I saw her, Lola had brought her three young babies with her. As she ate, the three frolicked behind the storage building. After that evening, Lola and her family disappeared. I had feared that something nasty had happened to them.

So when I found her peering around the corner of the storage building last night, I was overjoyed. Lola has put on weight since her last visit but her behavior has remained the same. She hides under the storage building until the coast is clear. Then quietly sneaks around the corner of the building and across the trail to the food. Last night she was joined by a young deer and a black squirrel. As there was plenty to eat, all three dined peacefully and without conflict.

I am so happy to see that she has survived another year and hopefully, I will get the chance to welcome her new babies to my backyard wildlife family.

No comments:

Post a Comment