Monday, August 13, 2012

Everything's Dark this Morning

I awoke to an overcast morning with the sense that rain was coming. Following my normal routine of refilling the bird baths, putting food out for the birds and squirrels, feeding the cats, I went inside for coffee and breakfast.

 
 
It wasn't long before the squirrels and birds arrived for their meal. As I was watching the animals gather, I realized that everyone of them was black in color. A pair of crows, yes, that was to be expected. But all the squirrels were black as well.

I had read a newspaper article once that discussed the rarity of black squirrels. Obviously, the reporter had never been to my yard. The black squirrels here outnumber the grays by a large margin. My favorites are the black glossy-furred ones whose coats glitter in the sunlight. Most handsome guys.

Many people dislike squirrels due to their aggressive nature and ability to find and empty bird feeders. As for me, I appreciate their acrobatic abilities and their willingness to persevere to get their food. Who can't resist watching a squirrel, hanging by it's back claws to eat from a tube feeder. Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment