Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That Rollercoaster Called Life

I had been wanting a 300 mm telephoto lens for sometime now. The telephoto lens I had was good for most animals, but the photographing of birds and small animals required me to be physically closer than my subjects were willing to tolerate. So when the decision was made to purchase the new lens in time for an upcoming trip, I was excited.

Early Friday evening the package arrived. Foregoing the six o'clock news, I opened the box and pulled out the lens. I grabbed my camera, mounted the new lens and headed outside. What a glorious experience to lock into an animal from a distance and capture a sharp image. All day Saturday was devoted to wandering around the yard, photographing flowers, mushrooms, the cats and birds. As I downloaded the photos to my computer and saw the crispness of the images, I was in heaven.

After dinner, I took the camera out again in anticipation of the evening arrival of the rabbits and deer. Camera perched on my tripod, I pulled off the lens cap and turned on the camera. Nothing. The LCD screen was black, no image to be seen. I tested the other lens I had, still black. Determined to figure out what button I pushed inadvertently, I pulled out my manual, scoured the Olympus website and Googled troubleshooting sites. Nothing.

The excitement of having this new lens suddenly soured. My anticipated photography trip, planned for the last six months would now have to be enjoyed without my camera. My destination is a quiet, beautiful cabin  near Lake Superior. The land is filled with large white pines guarded by eagles, a photographer's dream. But it would be wrong of me to use the breakdown of my camera to ruin an otherwise wonderful visit. Instead of fretting about composition, f-stops and shutter speeds, I can revel in the glory that is this place. Maybe this was life's way of reminding me to not always fill my time with doing, but spend time being.

Rabbit on Friday Evening


No comments:

Post a Comment