Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Colors in Flight


I had the pleasure of seeing butterflies over the weekend, a rare occurrence at my home. As my house is surrounded by trees, it isn’t an ideal location for growing the variety of flowers preferred by them.
Butterflies are one of those insects that can enchant the spirit. From their delicate structures to the awe inspiring colors, there is no insect that can compare with them. Most of the butterflies I encounter are the monarchs; those magnificent large orange creatures that migrate north in the spring, returning to Mexico every fall.
But on occasion I do come across a new species. One summer day two years ago, I was working in the backyard when I detected a movement. As I came closer, I saw a beautiful blue butterfly perched on the strap of my husband’s golf bag. Unlike most butterflies, this one was not startled by my appearance and for the longest time rested on the strap, opening and closing its wings. I hurried into the house in search of my camera, hoping that the butterfly would not disappear during my absence. To my amazement, the butterfly remained on the strap and I was able to photograph the beauty from all angles. Eventually the insect went on its way and I have not seen it since.
Pictures in hand, I went in search of identifying her species and found that she was a Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax). Found in wooded areas, the Red-spotted Purple feeds on flower nectar but also loves overly ripened fruit, a treat that could be found in the compost pile just beyond my patio.  

Butterflies in general have been declining in population. In our efforts to eliminate mosquitoes, beetles and other insect pests that damage crops and carry diseases, the use of pesticides have also killed beneficial insects such the butterflies. We walk a fine line between doing what is needed to protect our needs versus what is good for other species. Scientists continue to look at alternative ways to address harmful insects such as using integrated pest management techniques that limit the use and timing of pesticide applications to maximize eradication of the harmful insect and minimize impact to others. One technique that I find fascinating is the introduction of other predator insects that feed on the offending insect. Called biological controls, the predator insects do what comes naturally without the residual harm to everyone else in the habitat.
As the autumn continues I will see fewer and fewer butterflies as the migratory ones head south and the remainder reproduce and die. But for a short time, we can all be graced with the beauty of these colorful fliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment