Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sunflowers in the Sunlight



You may have noticed that I haven’t had regular postings on my blog. Like so many other things in life, events come up that interrupt even the most ironclad plans. This past week has been a study in being flexible to life’s hiccups.

My visit home was expected to be an opportunity to enjoy the autumn colors and seeing the natural beauty of the community. Instead, I have been in and out of emergency rooms, hospitals and know the local EMTs by name. Family members who have always been resilient and for whom I relied on are now fragile and dependent upon me. Hours and days passed before I even realized that I had not written a paragraph for this blog that I love so much. As I look back upon this past week, it is a constant reminder that everything changes. Even the sturdiest of rocks will be eventually reshaped by the wind and waves.

On one of the few quiet hours this past week I took a car ride around the area where my grandparents had lived. I saw how the once open fields are now covered in trees and homes where I played as a child decaying into the landscape. I drove past a field of sunflowers standing in the sunshine which in itself is not an uncommon sight. What made this scene so unusual was that everything around the field was dark and overcast. How did the sun know to shine only on those sunflowers?

So as I sit in my room and fret over all that has occurred, I can recall that field of flowers; a reminder that no matter how awful life can be there is always a ray of hope.

As a postscript, I am still in the midst of hospitals and doctors only now I have been joined by another sibling to help with the workload. I hope to keep writing but I ask for your patience, prayers and continued support if circumstances prevent me from posting each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment