Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Roadblocks




I sit here at the computer unable to put my thoughts together. Normally, I awake with some concept of what to write each morning and for some reason today, my mind is blank. It is not that my world is boring, squirrels and mourning doves frequent the feeders outside my window and my indoor cats are playing with toys in the next room.

I have not anticipated writers block so soon in the blogging process. A voracious journal writer, I have filled countless composition books. There are days when I can write five, six pages of thoughts in one sitting.  Today, I have nothing to say.

In Julia Cameron’s book, The Artist’s Way, she recommends morning pages to drain your mind of the clutter and fears that often block us from reaching our full potential. Handwrite three full pages, she says, even if it is gibberish. It is the process of writing, not the words that releases your creativity.

I saw this blog as a conduit to express in writing my love of nature and an opportunity to make the most of my passion for learning.  The written word has always been my sanctuary, an escape from the emotional exhaustion that comes from daily life.  Perhaps I have demanded too much of this process, rather than honor it as it was intended, a joyful expression of nature.

Julia was right, I was creating roadblocks. I began this blog as an act of love and quickly turned it into a must-get-it-done process. I feel much better now having recognized what I was doing. The sun is breaking through the overcast skies outside. I think I’ll go for a walk and see what nature has in store for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment