Monday, September 10, 2012

What comes naturally




I have started and stopped writing this post several times this morning. Ideas have been popping into my head; however, when put to paper seem to falter. Lack of energy in a concept often means that I have little vested interest in the idea and need to let it go. My work style is task focused, just give me a job and I’ll get it done, efficiently and timely. So when I struggle with a chore, I need to ask myself ‘am I the right person for this job’?
Homo sapiens are unique animals in that we come with different interests and abilities. Having these attributes creates individuality that is often not found in other species. Most animals and plants survive within a particular set of conditions and when faced with significant changes are forced to adapt, leave or die.
But every gift comes with its cost. I’ve often been told I think too much. Skilled in the ability to mentally strategize, organize and then implement has made me a valuable employee who can easily identify a problem and develop practical solutions.  But that gift also creates problems when I take a straight forward issue and create a convoluted scenario detailing all the things that can go right or wrong. What I end up with is analysis paralysis, creating unnecessary stress to myself and everyone around me.
In situations like these, I turn to the natural world for guidance. Over the years I have come to identify patterns of wildlife behavior and can reasonably estimate when a particular animal will come to eat, mate, build their homes. These wildlife behaviors are instinctual and survival based. By using these observations I can apply them to my own questions. If left to my own instinctual devices, what action would I naturally gravitate to versus those that are driven by others? Trusting in the internal God-given gifts always result in the right decision. I  may not recognize or appreciate it immediately, but looking back after the situation has passed, I know that I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment