Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Life In Color

The backyard this morning. The windchimes have twisted together but my pine tree is still standing strong.

There will be no going outside today. The effects of Hurricane Sandy have arrived, bringing with her hours of high, gusty winds. There has been no rain or snow so far, but the sky is onerous and may be just a matter of time before the precipitation falls.

Surrounded by trees, I choose to stay indoors rather than risk having a branch drop on my head. But it doesn’t stop me from thinking about the large pine situated right behind the house. An arborist friend cautioned me about the tree, remarking that the raised bed surrounding its base puts the tree at risk of falling over. I can only hope that if it does come down it falls to the east away from my house and the neighbors.

The landscape has the appearance of an old-time photograph of browns and golds. Even the sky has this monochromatic feel to it.  On a day like today, a little color is needed to lift the spirits so when I came across an email from the National Geographic Society, a smile came to my face. In the email was an article called Life In Color. It was a gallery of photos based on various color palettes. From silver to red to purple, the pictures were a fabulous reminder that life is not black and white but a vibrant rainbow of color. I’m sharing the link today so that you can enjoy the photos as much as I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment