Monday, October 29, 2012

Nature Doesn't Play Favorites


I admit that unlike most people I have an unusually keen interest in the complexities of the natural world. Many people live their lives inside whether it is in their office, their home or the local mall. I spend a fair amount of time inside too, but even then, I find myself looking out the window watching the interactions of vegetation, wildlife and the weather.

I bring this up because two significant natural events are occurring today. The first is the emergence of October’s full moon. In folk lore, it is known as the Hunter’s Moon, the time of the year when deer and other game animals are at their fattest, prime prey for the skills of hunters who want to fill their winter larders. I had forgotten entirely about the full moon until 3am this morning when my bedroom was unusually bright. I looked out the window and deep shadows crossed the front yard, separated by moonlight. I have been known to go outside on full moon nights to stare at the moon and stars, but on this cold, fall morning, I chose to revel from my warm bedroom.

Tropical storm Sandy, running up the Atlantic coast, has replaced the never-ending, nasty political commentary on television and in newspapers. First thought to veer right and out into the ocean, Sandy has twisted left, bringing rain, high winds and flooding to some of our largest cities. Stories on evacuation notices, runs on food, generators and water that empty store shelves and panicking residents boarding up their homes and seeking higher grounds lead the news.

There is something democratic about weather for it can’t be manipulated to benefit one person over another. Instead, weather has a way of bringing people together: rich and poor, educated and not. Whether it is sand-bagging rising river banks, shoveling snow out of clogged roads and sidewalks, opening homes to neighbors without utility service, weather does bring out the best in people.

I remember being confined to a dark house without electricity.  I played board games with my family in a room lit by candlelight. Despite the cold and dark, we all laughed and talked together. It brings back a slower, happier time when life wasn’t controlled by television and the computer. Those days are long gone and I mourn their passing. So today, in honor of those who face the uncertainly of Sandy, I will turn off my computer, leave my television dark and spend my day with my love ones; one on one, with laughter and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment