Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Healing Power of Work and Nature



What has seemed like an endless parade of medical emergencies, long days, sleepless nights, relief finally came in the form of an email from my friend Misaeng. She had invited me to come to a house building event for a local couple active in the sustainable living community. The house is being constructed with straw and a clay-based mortar and will be powered off the grid. I was intrigued to say the least and agreed to go.

So early Monday morning, I packed up my gloves, boots and a change of clothes and drove up to Misaeng’s home where she and her young son, Noah were waiting. On the drive to the house, we exchanged our tales of woe for I was not the only one who had had an eventful September. When we arrived at the homestead, the crew was already at work, mixing the mortar, setting the frames and stomping the straw into the walls. We quickly jumped into action, toting wheelbarrows of heavy mortared straw and shoveling the mixture into the frames where the younger guys packed it tightly within the walls. With no roof on the house, above us was a beautiful cloudless blue sky, framed with maples, evergreens and oaks.  One of my co-workers talked about how great a zip line would be on the property, where you could sail above the tree line, seeing all the trees in color. I had to agree.

We were served a simple lunch of soup, bread, brownies and warm apple cider. It was delicious and so appropriate for this autumn day. I had the chance to talk with the homeowners about the house and their plans for completion. They had much to do before the snow comes, but the key was completing the side walls so that the roof could be installed.

After lunch, the pace accelerated. We were now operating on a deadline; the various crews had to leave at designated times (including my group) and the young crew of men would not be available after Monday. The work now involved packing the straw into the top of the walls where they meet the roof frame. Being scared of heights it was not a job for me so I packed pails of straw that were lifted to the guys on top of the frame. It didn’t take long for my arms to tire from all the lifting and shoveling so when the time came to leave, my body was spent.

As we drove home, Misaeng, Noah and I were tired but happy. For the first time in weeks, I had forgotten all the drama that had encompassed my life and I had used all that pent up anxiety to help other people in the community. The sunshine and wind had burnished my face, bringing a healthy glow to a pallid skin. My arms, back and legs were tingling from the energy exerted, and I felt so relaxed.

I often walk in the woods when I am distressed for the fresh air, trees and wildlife reset my anxious mind back to calm. But given the severity and length of my experiences of late, no simple walk would have done the job. I needed to work it out of me strenuously surrounded by the woods that I so love. So when I woke up this morning, faced with a long list of tasks to be done, my anxiety rose then quickly dissipated. I may not have resolved all the issues of my life yesterday, but at least I can face them with a calmer mind and a healthier perspective.



P.S. I am grateful for Brad and Amanda for giving me the opportunity to help them in their house construction. I wish them much love and happiness in their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment