Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wildlife Inside My Window


Gabriel


I write primarily about wildlife that frequent my home allowing me the opportunity to take in nature up close. But what I rarely mention is the wildlife living in my home. Oh yes, I am the proud caretaker of cats; those wild four-legged animals who pretend to be domesticated so we dopey humans will feed, shelter and provide them with all the affection they want. Unlike dogs, cats are independent, stubborn and despite their generations of domesticity can stalk and kill a bird or chipmunk without notice.
Having grown up as a dog person, it was as much a surprise to me that I became a cat person. (I have been called a crazy cat woman, a title I proudly wear). It started with a stray kitten many years ago and over time I have cared for sixteen different cats. They were all strays in one form or another: some came from shelters, others moved in from the neighborhood. Males, females, tiny kittens, full grown adults, in all colors, hair lengths and sizes, I have loved them all.
My veterinarian has told me on numerous occasions that my cats are the best behaved felines she works with. From the time they first arrived in my home, I have treated them like dogs. None of this typical feline aloofness is allowed; they get handled, cuddled and wrestled with just like I would with a dog. Plus establishing myself as the alpha cat, it doesn’t take much to break up a territorial scuffle or herd them downstairs for dinner and bed.

But I don’t kid myself. Inside these outwardly playful cats lies a cunning killing machine. On one such occasion, Gabriel, my overweight, lazy male escaped out the door, grabbing a squirrel by the neck killing it instantly. I was appalled and ordered him to drop the dead rodent. Gabe immediately obeyed and I carried him inside without incident. Now, I watch the door closely as I come and go, fully aware that in a moment of opportunity, my placid indoor cats can bolt out and cause harm to the wildlife I treasure.
Domestic cats have been blamed for the decline of songbirds and small mammals. Proponents from both sides of the outside cat issue make compelling pleas for their positions. Many bird lovers and wildlife organizations demand that feral and outside house cats be killed on sight; that their very presence is cause for extermination. Others in the trap, neuter and release corner (TNR) believe that the answer to excess cat populations is spaying and neutering feral cat populations allowing the communities to die out naturally.  Both sides have valid points and instead of pointing fingers at each other, need to sit down and work together.

But the impact on bird and small mammal populations by feral and house cats is not the only issue here. The Humane Society of the U.S. estimates that 3-4 million cats and dogs are euthanized annually in shelters. That number doesn’t include the untold number of animals that are cruelly dumped along roadsides and farms for others to care for or to fend for themselves.
It all comes down to responsible pet ownership. Pets, be it dogs, cats, hamsters, parakeets whatever, deserve to be cared for humanely and responsibly. They are not inanimate toys to be discarded when the initial puppy or kitty appeal disappears or dumped in shelters when old age brings on senility or incontinence. I get angry when I hear some person tell me that they want their children to experience the birth of kittens when I know that millions of unwanted pets are killed. Are we that selfish or uncaring to believe that giving your child the chance [albeit a slim one as most pregnant animals hide prior to giving birth] to view the birth experience justifies adding to an already excess pet population?
As I write this, I feel my outrage coming to the surface. My love and respect for animals drives me to the belief that people are the dumb animals, not the wildlife and pets that some of my fellow humans hold in neglect and contempt. We all share this planet and have responsibility to live in concert with each other. That includes being responsible pet owners who bring animals into their homes, fully aware of the costs and work involved in caring for that pet for its entire life. Is that too much to ask?

Background Information on Above Posting

Pet Overpopulation
The Humane Society of the United States

Feline Fatales
Ted Williams, Audubon Magazine, September 2009

Alley Cats Allies – National Advocacy Group for the Protection and Humane Treatment of Cats including feral populations, TNR information

A Report on Trap/Alter/Release Programs
(c) 1995 Karen Johnson
National Pet Alliance, PO Box 53385, San Jose, CA 95153, 408-363-0700

No comments:

Post a Comment